Label: Popboomerang Records
Catalogue: PB 002
01. STONEAGE HEARTS - Shake Yer Popboomerang
02. MAGNETO - Living On The Moon
03. HER MAJESTY'S FINEST - Peggy Wednesday
04. SARAH SARAH - Ignorance & Arrogance
05. TREETOPS - Confused
06. STARKY - Yesterday I Drove Your Girlfriend Home
07. SMALLGOODS - Listen To The Radio
08. DREAMDAYERS - I Will Listen
09. DECEMBERS - Saving Everything
10. NEVER LOVED ELVIS - Rodney Smart
11. DOM MARIANI - Brothers and Sisters m
12. RUN ON ONE - Karenin’s Smile
13. ELEMENTS - Ordinary Day
14. TIM REID - Dancing Girl
15. GROUNDSWELL - To Be Young
16. CHARLES JENKINS - The Black Madonna -
17. SHOWBAG! - Goodbye Friend
18. SUPERSCOPE – Untitled Demo #1
19. JOE ALGERI & DANNY McDONALD - Til The End
20. MARCUS GOODWIN - One To Right
21. GENES - Peeling From The Ceiling
22. ANDY STAR - Lucky Strike (radio edit)
23. DANNY McDONALD - In The Comfort Of A Summer’s Night (acoustic)
From press release:
Shake Yer Popboomerang is a collection of rare and previously unreleased pop material. It’s the second release from Melbourne based independent label Popoomerang who released the Sarah Sarah EP, ‘Sing Till It Hurts’ late 2002. Shake Yer Popboomerang reads like a road map of Australian guitar-pop talent.
We begin the journey in Melbourne and find contributions from upbeat pop starlings Sarah Sarah; mod rockers Her Majesty’s Finest, the smooth crooning Icecream Hands front man Charles Jenkins and the Elliot Smith esq Tim Reid. Also making appearances are psychedelic rockers the Treetops, the harmonious and melodious Smallgoods, leaders of the pop-rock movement Groundswell and Gippsland’s favourite son Danny McDonald.
Hitting the road and venturing north of the Victorian border to Sydney, we discover the Teenage Fanclub inspired Starky and jangle popsters The Dreamdayers.
On a very full tank of gas, we travel the dusty highways ‘til we reach the power pop capital of Australia, Perth, where we pick up the incredible talents of Dom Mariani (Stems, Someloves, DM3) , Superscope and Showbag.
This compilation also contains a unique contribution from Jack & The Beanstalk leader Joe Algeri (recently relocated to Sweden) who teams up with Danny McDonald (ex P76) on their collaborative track ‘Til The End’. This song was recorded in Melbourne and Sweden with both musicians sending the song back and forth over email to each other. Email has never been so productive!
On this record you will discover debut recordings from some of the Australia’s freshest and most exciting new pop talent. Amazingly, at the time of writing, the Decembers (previously The Movies), Magneto (ex Alcotomic) and Andy Star (ex Holden Caulfield and Dinsdale) have not even played performed live under their current monikers and line-ups.
The majority of songs featured here on the compilation were recorded specifically for the project. None more obviously so than the Stoneage Hearts who contributed the garage rock stomper “Shake Yer Pop Boomerang”.
And indeed “Shaking” and grooving is exactly what you’ll be doing when listening to this CD. “Shake Yer Popboomerang” is an album chock full of addictive, melodic rock’n’roll. It’s an essential purchase for collectors of fine pop music.
Clearly one of the finest compilations the world has ever seen!