Label: Popboomerang Records
01. LOLAS - Don’t Change A Thing (USA)
02. KELLY’S HEELS - She (Still) Doesn’t Know It’s Wrong (England)
03. FINKERS - Santa Come In Stripes (Australia)
04. SUGARRUSH - Bootycall (Finland)
05. SHY NOBLEMAN - Spring B# (Stevie Winwood) (Israel)
06. CHAMPALE - Motel California (acoustic version) (USA)
07. VOCODER - The Turnaround (New Zealand)
08. PIPITONE - Anything I Want To Say (USA)
09. SWEET APPLE PIE - She Whistles In The Tube (original version) (France)
10. FLORAPOP - Come To Me (USA)
11. BONDAGE - Hollywood Is Babyfood (Spain)
12. THE SAMURAI SEVEN - Flaming Hell Blake (alternative version) (UK)
13. MOVING JELLY - Rock'n Roll Girl High School (Japan)
14. GO YOU HUSKIES - S.A.W (Australia/Norway)
15. THE ORANGES - All Day All Night (English Version) (Japan)
16. MICHAEL CARPENTER - Rolling Ball (Australia)
17. ED JAMES - You And Whose Army (USA)
18. THE RICHIES - Fanclubesque (Australia)
19. BEN’S DIAPERS - Punk Girl (Finland)
20. DOM MARIANI - Fireplace (Australia)
21. DANNY McDONALD - A Bitter End To A Sweet Weekend Away (Australia)
22. THE SUNBEAMS - Game (Japan)
23. JEREMY - This Is War! (USA)
24. JOE ALGERI & MAGNUS KARLSSON - Stories Remain Untold (Australia/Sweden)
25. SALT WATER TAFFY - We're Not Gonna Take It (Japan)
From press release:
Our first compilation album Shake Yer Popboomerang showcased the impressive talent on the Australian pop scene. It was so much fun to
compile, that we decided to put together another set of songs. Only this time around, we have invited artists from all around the world to contribute.
As, with “Shake Yer Popboomerang”, all the songs featured on this album are exclusive, unreleased or very hard to find. Most were specifically recorded for the project.
So! Pack your bags; the trip is about to begin!
Our first stop is Australia where powerpop supergroup The Finkers launch into their festive anthem Santa Comes in Stripes. Gippsland’s favourite son Danny McDonald contributes the homespun urban tale, A Bitter End To A Sweet Weekend Away. New Sydney band The Richies appear here with cheeky nod to the great Teenage Fanclub, Fanclubesque. Prolific Sydney pop muso and producer Michael Carpenter delivers the rollicking Rolling Ball, which features backing vocals from Zac & Kate from the now defunct Melbourne pop band Sarah Sarah. Finally, from the vaults we unearth Fireplace, an unreleased jangle pop gem from pop god Dom Mariani (Stems, Someloves, DM3).
Following in the tradition of “Shake Yer Popboomerang”, we have trans Atlantic pop productions. Australian singer songwriter CC Hua teams with Norway's Kenneth Ishak (Beezwax) on the tender S.A.W. and Perth expat Joe Algeri (Jack & The Beanstalk) joins Swede Magnus Karlsson (Happydeadman) on the fable Stories Remain Untold.
Leaving Australia we head for the USA to unearth a host of emerging American pop acts. Bands such as Pipitone, Lolas, Ed James, Florapop, and Jeremy are ready & waiting to be discovered by the masses. Perhaps the best-known USA band here would be Brooklyn act Champale who’s sprawling line-up has featured members of Luna, Clem Snide, Nada Surf and Sparklehorse. Champale contribute a haunting acoustic version of their song Motel California which features harmonies from Sid Hillman (nephew of Chris from The Byrds),
The next stop on our adventure is the United Kingdom where we find Kelly’s Heels who serve up the Beatlesque She (Still) Doesn’t Know It’s Wrong and The Samurai Seven who poke their tongue out at Australian soapie TV culture on Flamin Blake Hell.
Next up we jet set to Japan where the cream of the Japanese pop crop The Oranges, Sunbeams, Salt Water Taffy & Movin Jelly contribute new and exclusive pop gems. Salt Water Taffy contribute their unique take on the 80’s rock anthem Quiet Riot’s Were Not Going To Take It.
Our orbit around the world is far from over! In France we unearth the cute and catchy Sweet Apple Pie and their sing-along She Whistles In The Tube. In Finland we have 80’s inspired rockers Ben’s Diapers and punk-pop of The Sugarrush. Down in Spain we discover the Redd Kross/Jellyfish inspired Bondage. Possibly the most exciting find comes all the way from Israel with Shy Nobleman who donates his quirky love song Spring B# (Stevie Winwood). Finally, on our way home we swing past New Zealand for a send off from the crunchy melodic sounds of Vocoder.
There is a stratosphere of rare rock and pop selections on offer from around the globe on “Planet Of The Popboomerang.” So, strap yourself in, sit back and enjoy the ride